Columbia School District and Columbia for Kids Bond Committee wish to thank all citizens of our district who voted in favor of our two proposals. Thank you for Believing so that our children may Achieve.
We look forward to engaging with the community on the development of our facility plans. It’s time for the Golden Eagles to RESTORE the SOAR!
This video helps explain the current state of our schools shares the details of the upcoming bond proposal to be voted on in November.
Columbia 2013 Bond Vote
The district’s facilities are nearing 60 years old and are in need of repair!
- Our technology, equipment, & infrastructure cannot provide the 21st Century job skills that our children need to compete in today’s work force.
- Our heating systems are not energy-efficient, which takes money away from our children’s education.
- All Columbia students deserve educational facilities that are…
Safe, Warm, Dry, & Smart!
Proposal 1: $26.5 M / 2.15 Mill
- Raises $26.5M for projects at All Schools with a 2.15-mill bond issue
- Improves SAFETY of district facilities & Enhances STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT with technology & classroom upgrades
- Upgrades systems for OPERATIONS & improves ENERGY SAVINGS
- Protects Community’s investment in CSD’s INFRASTRUCTURE
Proposal 2: $4.05 M / 0.45 Mill
- Additional 0.45 mill raises $4.05M for High School/Middle School renovation & expansion
SAFE – 46% of Prop 1
A safe and secure learning environment for students, staff, & community
Items to be updated to current code requirements
Secure entries at each building
Doors that will properly lock & do not need to be chained shut
Drop off & pickup traffic patterns that separate parent & bus traffic to create a safe student drop off
Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) Improvements
WARM – 29% of Prop 1
Create Operational Cost efficiencies so more money can be spent on educational needs
Items that will convert operational dollar savings into educational dollars
Replace 1950’s boilers with new energy-efficient heating systems
Add insulation value with new roofs
Install new windows & doors with energy-efficient glass & insulation
DRY – 14% of Prop 1
Facilities that are easy to maintain, reflect a positive image, & enhance community spirit
Facilities that attract students, parents, staff, and community members so the district can grow
Replace leaking 40+ year old roofs with highly insulated roofing systems
Replace original leaking piping systems.
Install heating systems without water in the duct work (Alternative High School)
SMART – 11% of Prop 1
A strong educational technology infrastructure that supports current technology needs & allows for future technology growth
Expand wireless technology infrastructure
Add classroom computers for students and staff
Provide 21st Century Job Skill Development tools
TOP FACILITY NEEDS IN THE PROPOSALS
Heating – $4.6M
- Replace 50+-year-old boilers & heating systems with new high efficiency units
- Install new classroom heating units
- Install new energy management systems
Roofing – $2.95M
- Remove existing roof membrane & insulation and repair damaged roof decking
- Install new roof insulation and membrane
- Install new roof edge and fascia
Fire-Rated Corridors and ADA – $2.3M
- Replace classroom doors and frames with new fire-rated doors & frames with ADA door hardware
- Add new student lockers
- Demolish existing toilet room finishes; enlarge space to provide barrier-free accommodations
- Install new plumbing fixtures, new wall and floor finishes, & new toilet partitions and accessories
Secure Entries – $1.1M
- Create secure vestibules for main building entries
- Remodel building office areas to enable the monitoring of building visitors
Replace Doors and Windows – $1.0M
- Remove and replace exterior doors and windows with new energy-efficient systems.